nanog mailing list archives

RE: How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?

From: "Hannigan, Martin" <hannigan () verisign com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:18:52 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 4:14 PM
To: nanog list
Subject: Re: How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam
scr eensaver site?

on Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:58:03PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Steven Champeon wrote:

on Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:56:29PM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
Possibly. What will happen if the Lycos botnet gets hijacked?

The conversations between the clients and the servers
don't appear
to be keyed. If a million clients got owned, it would be the
equivalent of an electronic Bubonic Plague with no antidote.

You mean, like the existing botnets we already know exist but are
already under the control of spammers?

What's the difference? Why is everyone so upset about
Lycos and nobody
seems to be doing much of anything about the /existing
botnets/, which
conservative estimates[1] already put at anywhere from
1-3K per botnet
to upwards of 1-5M hosts total[2]?

perhaps the difference is 'reponsible people' don't go out
and recruit
botnets... Lycos, as a corporate entity with it's business
model dependent
upon the health and wellbeing of the Internet would try to be
'responsible', or so I would have thought.

I agree. I also think it's up to the companies providing the Internet
connectivity to the non-Lycos-"owned" botnets to prevent such activity
from affecting others.

arguing that there are murderers and rapists out there and
that 'nothing
is being done' is hardly reason to become one yourself.

I couldn't agree more that vigilantism isn't the answer. My earlier
remarks were directed to the shock and awe evident in the possibility
that - via Lycos - there might be, heaven forbid, /large numbers of
computers under the control of spammers, that could be used
in spamming
and abuse/.

Can you direct me toward a singluar entity of 1MM bots controlled by
a single master?

All I was pointing out was that, surprise, surprise, there
already are.
So why anyone thinks Lycos' botnet being hacked is /any
different/ from
/the current situation/ is utterly beyond my ken. Why would
any spammer
bother to hack Lycos' botnet? They /already have their own/.

I think you might be behind on what's going on in botland
lately.