nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6, IPSEC and deep packet inspection

From: "william(at)elan.net" <william () elan net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:35:49 -0800 (PST)

BTW - One of the most fascinating things is that some miscreants when they
hack your ipv4 host, the first thing they do (if kernel can support ipv6)
is setup ipv6 tunnel to their home (or more likely another hacked box)
destination, then they setup a bot which has only ipv6 adddress. Apparently
this way they can survive longer without being discovered or their bot
access blocked because ipv6 tunnels are seen as good thing (rightly so)
and ipv6 activitiy is not looked at as closely by automated means.

And of course there are those peski ipv6 irc servers in italy and
other places with interesting crowd on them...

At the same time, I'll note that I've never seen hacked ipv6-only box...
(but maybe that is just because there aren't that many ipv6-only boxes)