nanog mailing list archives

RE: Spam Abuse Script from The World (roky () shell TheWorld com)

From: "Joe Johnson" <jjohnson () jmdn net>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 02:02:54 -0600

Some people have sent me emails off-list saying that most people on
NANOG are not interested in this.

I'd like to know why not, and let them know they definitely should be!
I'm doing this on my own time, so there really is no associated cost.
But if I still worked @ FVI.net, it would be a horrible expense for me
to waste time on these bottomless and endless emails to all of FVI's
upstreams and associated companies.

TheWorld.com is polluting the rest of "the world", whether on purpose or
by allowing a customer to do it.  Not only that, the sender and
recipient are all hidden, making it flagged as spam in Outlook 2003,
SpamAssasin, and DSpam.  This last email was sent to foo@bar, but
arrived in my inbox and the postmaster, webmaster, mailer-daemon, root,
and about 6 other NOC staff member email addresses (BCC: trick, like the
spammers use).  Did you just decide to work like the spammers to stop
the spammers?  Try targeting real spammers!

Is anyone awake there?  I need to report abuse by yourself or a
customer, and I am writing an email to abuse for TheWorld.com now.

Joe Johnson
JMDN.net