nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anycast 101

From: Joe Shen <joe_hznm () yahoo com sg>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:41:05 +0800 (CST)

Hi,

That's what I want to discuss about. The paper gives a
very detailed explanation on anycast with OSPF_ecmp,
and what I want to know is:

is there anything not included in it but must be
considered carefully when anycast cache server farm is
to be established in MAN ?

Will there be any problem with OSPF-ECMP convergence ?
is there any request with DNS software(BIND, CNS,
powerdns etc. ) selection?

Considering such a situation, a big ISP want to set up
hierachical cache DNS service, it has several MAN
interconnected by backbone. each MAN uses a reserved
ASN. The backbone has a public ASN and connect to each
MAN with e-BGP. Should BGP multipath be considered ?
or should each MAN announce same DNS server address
block in each e-bgp session ? will there be any
possible problem in such situation?

what I do care about is, convergence speed,
reliablity, load balancing within cache server farm,
or load sharing between different cache server farm
when one of them failed, cost of administration.

Joe

Also, be mindful of ECMP.

   http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.html
   http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.txt