nanog mailing list archives

RE: optics pricing (Re: Weird GigE Media Converter Behavior)

From: Simon Lyall <simon () darkmere gen nz>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:17:22 +1200 (NZST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Mark Borchers wrote:
Peter Galbavy wrote:

On the other hand, the use of patent licenses (like those
that say "free if
you don't claim against us") for things like VRRP do worry me.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but this excerpt from
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR//VRRP-CISCO does not seem to me
to portend predatory pricing:

However it does make an open source (and certainly a free) implimentation
very difficult to do.

A license of $1000 per machine is "reasonable and nondiscriminatory terms"
for $100k routers but not for a something that I want to download and run
on a few Linux boxes.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.