nanog mailing list archives

Re: Has postini been taken over?

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () mail iucc ac il>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 07:53:05 +0300

At 09:14 AM 19-08-04 -0700, Jay Hennigan wrote:

Have you or a mail administrator for your domain signed up with Postini
for spam filtering?  If so, all mail for the domain will flow through
Postini's servers.  If your mailbox isn't enabled for filtering or is
set to not filter, all the spam you previously got from anywhere will
show Postini in the headers.  For that matter, all of your mail to that
address will have Postini in the headers.

How exactly does "all mail for the domain will flow through
Postini's servers"? I ask since the IP sending to some postini IP like exprod5mx30.postini.com is blocked for outgoing port 25+80. That means that the data is flowing to postini in 1 of the following ways:

a) auto-GRE tunnels
b) email packaged in some way
c) email is being sent via some dialup/DSL connection to postini

I am just trying to understand how postini is bypassing my anti-spam ACLs.

-Hank

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay () west net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV