nanog mailing list archives

Re: Buying and selling root certificates

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:41:15 -0500

Thus spake "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch () muada com>
On 29-apr-04, at 7:02, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
The feds clearly have the power to get through or around encryption
suspected criminals are using: the FBI reports that there have been
_zero_ cases nationwide over the past several years where the use of
encryption has prevented them or other agencies from obtaining the
evidence needed, even when "secure" tools like PGP, SSL, or IPsec
are used.

I have a hard time believing this...

The DOJ was directed by Congress to collect data and report back each year,
and while I don't trust any law-enforcement types in general, I do trust in
their fear of Congressional inquiries.  Besides, given the FBI's past
position on crypto, especially key escrow, I have a hard time believing
they'd claim crypto wasn't a problem if it actually was -- that's
counter-productive for them.

So what do they do? Send a team in to retrieve the key from your
system? Borrow some CPU time from the NSA?

The reasons for the FBI's conclusion were not given.  It's "common
knowledge" that it's cheaper to attack the key-management systems (or the
end systems) than the crypto, so that's one possibility.  Another is that
the existing implementations are flawed in ways that reveal the keys and/or
plaintext.  Last, it's possible that the plaintext was never recovered and
the pattern of communication was enough evidence in itself.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin