nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Router best for full BGP on a sub 5K bidget 7500 7200 or other vendor ?

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:50:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Rodney Dunn wrote:

That's the most common deployment mistake I
see made with the 75xx nowadays.  People want
to move to dCEF to get added feature capability
or either run a new feature that requires dCEF and they
don't consider the extra load on the VIP CPU's that
is required.

Does dCEF use much more CPU on the VIPs or just memory (to store the
fowarwarding table on the VIP)?  My experience has been that a 7500 with
RSP4's and VIP2-50's (with dCEF) will handle much more packet forwarding
than a 7206VXR NPE300...but with full BGP routes, you need at least 64mb
(preferably 128mb) on the VIPs or you can't use dCEF.  Not using dCEF
largely defeats the purpose of using a 7500, doesn't it?

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |