nanog mailing list archives

Re: TCP/BGP vulnerability - easier than you think

From: Paul Jakma <paul () clubi ie>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:04:55 +0100 (IST)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Unless I was really sleep-typing I didn't say anything about IPsec,
just about "crypto", which as far as I'm concerned includes MD5,
which we were talking about.

Ah, ok. I thought you were referring specifically to MD5.

As Crist Clark just pointed out: the presence of the SPI and replay
counter actually makes it harder to do a crypto DoS against IPsec
than the TCP MD5 option (assuming the traffic can't be sniffed).

Aye, IPSec should be slightly harder to attack.

Another advantage of IPsec is that it allows for key changes in a
sane way. I'm not sure I'd want my routers to run IKE, though.

:)

However, note that even a relatively light-weight check such as an
HMAC-MD5 can blow away a typical router CPU at orders of magnitude
below line rate, so it is essential that attackers don't get to
bypass the non-crypto checks for than a tiny fraction of the
packets they spoof.

True. Six of one, half-dozen of the other really. If your peering
sessions are that important though, you can easily afford the crypto
accelerator board, or otherwise decent router (eg a J) wrt CPU power.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      paul () clubi ie        paul () jakma org       Key ID: 64A2FF6A
        warning: do not ever send email to spam () dishone st

Most UNIX programmers are great masters of style.
                -- The Unnamed Usenetter