nanog mailing list archives

Re: .ORG problems this evening

From: bmanning () karoshi com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:29:06 -0700 (PDT)

TV> BGP doesn't know when a DNS server dies.  Therein lies the
TV> findamental problem of using anycast as an application
TV> redundancy scheme.

But it can and should.  Again, seeing if the process is running
is easy; verifying correct functionality requires more work, but
definitely is doable.

Eddy
--

        Ick.  you really believe that BGP can or should be augmented to
        understand application "liveness"?   BGP reaching past the router,

        I guess that when all you have/understand is a hammer, everything
        becomes a nail.

        Wait...  Its a joke!  you just forgot the :)

--bill