nanog mailing list archives

Re: What *are* they smoking?

From: "Mark Vallar" <mark () vallar net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:30:47 -0400

A wildcard A record in the net TLD.

It's Verisign's return shot at the web browser "couldn't find this page"
searches.  Doesn't seem to have much by way of advertising yet, but I'm
sure that'll change.  I heard about this coming from somewhere last week,
though I don't recall where.  Probably Wired or the WSJ.  Verisign wants
the revenue that all those typos are generating.  It's just the next shot
in the eyeball war.

This is sufficiently technically and business slimy that
I would null-route that IP, personally.

The bigger issue is DNS troubleshooting.....what a nightmare when a query of
the *.gtld-servers.net servers does not return an error.  What happens when
they change the IP because of null-route'ing of the current IP to a
completely different /8 subnet.

Who engineered this!!!!!  Or better yet, who allowed this blatant commercial
use of the TLD servers.

</disgusted>

Mark Vallar