nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco introduced 'warm' reload...

From: Rodney Dunn <rodunn () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:54:28 -0400

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 08:11:52PM -0700, Michel Py wrote:
Rodney,

Rodney Dunn wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll have it removed
from the CLI for any platforms where it's not supported.

Actually, there's nothing to remove. The

cisco7507#reload ?
  LINE    Reason for reload

Is perfectly legitimate.

I agree.  But it shouldn't accept the command even though
it's not visible.

75xx_Lab#sh ver | incl IOS
IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-JSV-M), Version 12.3(2)T,  RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
75xx_Lab#rel warm

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: yes
Warning: Attempting to overwrite an NVRAM configuration previously written
by a different version of the system image.
Overwrite the previous NVRAM configuration?[confirm]n
No action taken because command was not confirmed
Proceed with reload? [confirm]n

The currently supported platforms are:
3660 and 3745 in 12.3(2)T
7200 in 12.2(18)S
I'll also check on future platform implementations and
let you know.  While at first the feature seems platform
independent it turns out there are some platform
dependencies.

If I may, it would be a hell of a good idea to make it work on platforms
such as the 7500 where one would think it is un-necessary. On paper,
having a feature set with rpr/rpr+ would render this command
un-necessary on a 7500 with dual RSPs. In practice, there are so many
compatibility issues with rpr/rpr+ and other features that some 7500s
that have dual RSPs run a non-rpr image and the second RSP is sitting in
the router as a spare.

Sure you may.  I'll check with the 7500 group and let you know what the
plans are for this platform.

Rodney

Michel.