nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Failure due to Virus

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 13:56:55 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Petri Helenius wrote:

Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

Hi,
we've seen this.. yuo need to make sure you filter the nachi worm 92 byte icmp
echo's on your interfaces and it will be fine. The problem seems to be input
buffers which use all the memory up for some reason.

This sounds vaguely similar to the recent IOS buffers stuck issue.

No, its quite different

1:
On the vuln. the buffer filled up and could not be emptied without a reboot

On nachi the buffer doesnt seem to fill and an acl or shutting the interface
will solve the problem whilst the router stays up

2:
On the vuln. the outcome was that the particular interface stopped forwarding
traffic

On nachi the router runs out of main memory and starts dropping processes
because of malloc failure

FYI I have only encountered the nachi problem on a few PE routers which were old
and had little memory anyway eg Cisco 2500.. presumably the buffer filling isnt
a memory leak and providnig there is enough spare memory the router wont be
affected in this way.

Steve