nanog mailing list archives

RE: If Verisign *really* wants to help ...

From: "Vivien M." <vivienm () dyndns org>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:59:54 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu] On
Behalf Of Sean Donelan
Sent: September 20, 2003 6:29 PM
To: Lyndon Nerenberg
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: If Verisign *really* wants to help ...

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
The logical follow-on to IP-based Sitefinder is SS7-based
Phonefinder.
I propose we redirect all "not in service" telephone numbers to
Verisign's CEOs direct telephone number.

Actually, AT&T already tried that once upon a time.

If you dialed a number that was busy or not in service it
redirected you to a "helpful" recording offering for a small
charge to ring you back when the number was available.

AT&T discontinued it less than a week later.

Just out of curiosity, why did they discontinue it?

Here in Bell Canada land, this type of thing has been around for hm... 8
years or so? There was a big outcry the first week or so from dialup users
(at the time, busy signals were more common than now), then eventually they
all did the *XX code to permanently disable it. It is still enabled on new
[residential, at least] POTS lines.

Vivien
--
Vivien M.