nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Fwd: [IP] VeriSign to revive redirect service]

From: Paul Vixie <vixie () vix com>
Date: 16 Oct 2003 23:35:38 +0000

i just got done reading http://news.com.com/2008-7347_3-5092590.html,
so now at least i know why my phone was ringing so much earlier today.

anyway, ken () cnet com (ken emery) quotes me as saying...

let me just emphasize that the default is OFF.  BIND doesn't break
sitefinder; nameserver adminstrators break sitefinder.  be mindful of
that difference!

and then adds:

Paul, you've just bought into the Verisign propaganda here.

The BIND modification does NOTHING to break Sitefinder.  One can still go
to http://sitefinder.verisign.com/ and use the web page without any
interference from BIND.  What the latest release does is to break the
redirection of RCODE 3 to http://sitefinder.verisign.com/.  It is just
semantics, but there is a HUGE difference.

ken is right and i apologize for the confusion.  most of the early patches
to bind8 and djbdns that i saw were dependent on the sitefinder address, and
as such, would have enabled nameserver administrators to break _sitefinder_.
isc's patches for bind9 enable nameserver administrators to break only the
_redirection_ to sitefinder.
--
Paul Vixie