nanog mailing list archives

Re: Extreme BlackDiamond

From: Jason LeBlanc <jml () packetpimp org>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:00:09 -0400

75xx/GSR, dCEF? 75xx/GSR are L3 switches then. ;) Not to add flame-bait, but..

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/switch_c/xcprt2/xcdcef.htm

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 sthaug () nethelp no wrote:

I don't understand how you can differentiate between a router and an L3
switch. In my view "L3 switch" is a marketing term. All high end boxes
do hardware based IP forwarding, whether their ancestry is from the L2
or the L3 side.

To me something that uses hardware assist, setup by the cpu per destination, is an L3 Switch. Something that does equal route lookups per packet all the time is a router.