nanog mailing list archives

Re: abuse from a user of this list

From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:15:02 -0400

"Matthew S. Hallacy" wrote:

This is not a list issue, nor does anyone on the list care.

Put me down as caring.  Moreover, as a long-time participant in this
forum, I'm particularly concerned about even anecdotal evidence that
one of our posters is mounting an attack on another.

Please take your blathering back to IRC.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=denigrate

It saddens me that ostensible college students have grammar problems,
but that stoops to an "ad hominem" attack.  Please cease.

Eric Kuhnke wrote:
Since you are "Director of Security", I will offer you some advice:

1) Cease your incessant shrieking as it is neither warranted nor desired on this list.
2) It is not possible to "denigrate" to anything.
3) Grow up.

Based on the web pages at http://2mbit.com/ and http://www.sosdg.org/,
I see an effort to improve the community not found at either
http://www.poptix.net nor http://techmonkeys.org/.

Mayhap all persons involved are young.  Never-the-less, I'd like to
encourage security awareness.  I remember a decade ago, I was an
immortal on a local MUD, and helped a promising fellow there who
eventually went to work for rediris.es.

Andrew D Kirch wrote:

Last night in conjunction with the attacks on my DSL line and the
Summit Open Source Development Group, I received a threatening phone
call on my home business line at 1:44 in the morning (GMT-5 CST
Indiana-East).  My roommate answered the call, and the dialog was
simply "how's your DSL B----!", then the caller hung up.
This evening my roommate informed me of the call, and told me that
the caller had not blocked caller ID, the number in question being
320-282-5940.  I tracked this number to a T Mobile cellphone in
St Cloud, MN.  Thinking this might be the kiddie responsible for the
attack I made a *67 call back.
I was greeted with the voice mail of Matthew Hallacy (AKA poptix) who
has used this forum to take cheap shots at myself and my staff
repeatedly.  Now he has denigrated to simple threats and harassment
off list that didn't even get to me but to my roommate who is entirely
uninvolved in this.
I must note that this incident greatly saddened me, as I would have
thought that all on this list have suffered Denial of Service attacks,
and understand the seriousness and severity of these attacks,
obviously one of us doesn't get it.
please contact me if you have questions regarding this incident.

I'd say you need to contact your FBI office.

--
William Allen Simpson