nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Full-Disclosure] Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for good security

From: james <hackerwacker () cybermesa com>
Date: 31 Oct 2003 19:04:58 -0700

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 18:35, Andrew D Kirch wrote:
You guys missed it, Gates is utterly right.  There is no such thing as perfect code.

Hmmm, I think that is a given. Even my ponytail knows that !
Gates just has a talent with spin.

 Where he errs is that his code is utter and unremarkable crap based on poorly conceived designs based on a percieved
difficulty of use problem.  The simple solution was to design it for the average person and then tell anyone who
couldn't figure it out to get stuffed.
Sadly that didn't happen here, or when dcom came out, or when activex sucked, or when dcom came out again, or every
time they release Outlook (Express).

Yep, change the prompt, shoehorn 32 bits onto 8 bits and "we are done
here".

--
James Edwards
Routing and Security