nanog mailing list archives

Yankee Group declares core routing obsolete (was Re: Anybody using GBICs?)

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:08:01 -0500

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:25:43PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:48:01AM -0800, lance_tatman () agilent com wrote:

I'm looking into doing some research that will make use of GBICs(Gigabit Interface Converters),
but I need to know how many of you are using GBICs in your networks?
If you are using them, where do they fit into your topology?

Hello,

I am also doing some research and would like to know how many of you are
using routers in your networks? I am considering making use of them, but
first I need to know where they fit into your topology?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=75&e=18&u=/nf/22581

Plainly stated, routers no longer have a home in the core of the network.
"You might have found a router there five years ago, but most certainly
you have a switch today," said Yankee Group vice president Zeus Kerravala.

Whew, good thing I checked, I almost went out and bought routers for my
network. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras