nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 NAT

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:42:06 -0600

Thus spake <Michael.Dillon () radianz com>
Now, I'm not claiming that every device capable of IPv4 NAT is currently
able to function in this way, but there are no technical barriers to
prevent
manufacturers from making IPv6 devices that function in this way. The
IPv6 vendor marketing folks can even invent terms like NAT (Network
Authority Technology) to describe this simple IPv6 firewall function, i.e.
IPv6 NAT.

Or you could simply call it what it is -- a firewall -- since that's what
most consumers think NAT is anyways.

While I disagree with the general sentiment that NATs create security, the
standard usage of such devices is certainly that of a stateful firewall.