nanog mailing list archives

Re: IAB concerns against permanent deployment of edge-based filtering

From: bmanning () karoshi com
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:14:42 -0700 (PDT)

I think the IAB has a legitimate point.

        perhaps.  but last I checked, it was the Internet Architecture Board
        not the Internet Operations Board. So form an architectural purity
        perspective, sure, don't filter (and by extention, pull out firewalls
        and NATS.... :)

There is a real danger that long-term continued blocking will lead
to "everything on one port"

        fair amount of handwaving there.

        prudent/paranoid folk over the years have persuaded me that
        it makes the best sense to only run those applications/services
        that I need to and shut off everything else - until/unless there
        is a demonstrated need for it.

--bill