nanog mailing list archives

Re: RBLs in use

From: Matthew Sullivan <matthew () sorbs net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:42:37 +1000

I'm gonna post this back publically because it will be of interest to all (I hope)...

Jasper van Beusekom wrote:

Mat:

Noone is exempt from listing in SORBS, but proven whitehats don't get
blocked.

Do you have many such contacts?

I have a few (less than 50)

Would it be something to create a DNSBL
list for known whitehats and sites with functioning abuse teams? Such a
whitelist could be a partial implementation of a 'trusted network'
principle.

I am *currently* creating an extension to SORBS which will allow ISPs to register as whitehats along with their mailservers and netblocks, and a fast response email address.

The idea being if a mailserver is about to be listed they will get 24 hours warning to avert the listing. If addresses within their netblocks get listed they will get notification mails, and the host is listed immediately.

A similar project runs under the DNSBL domain:
 nlwhitelist.dnsbl.bit.nl

Usenet reference unfortunately in Dutch: 3f81483c$1 () inaja bit nl

Basically, respectable ISPs with active abuse desks can request to get listed, and will be removed when complaints start coming in.

Whitelists wouldn't attract the same kind of DDoS activities either.

I think I'll still be a DDoS target though ;-/

Yours

Mat