nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPSEC VPNs capable of handling worm traffic

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell () martin fl us>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:16:07 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Magnus Eriksson wrote:

The last 2 days I've been fighting against the Nachi ICMP onslaght on a
customer network.

Problem is that the "random" destination traffic seem to kill my VPNs by
vendor N. CPU is consumed, probably due to trying to maintain/update
route cache. Or maybe it hits it's pps limit.
Ordinary traffic req. is approx. 10 Mbit/s mixed traffic.
Worm traffic I would like to be able to handle is approx 2-3kpps.
Anyone know of any VPN boxes/routers with VPN capability that is better
able to handle the onslaught? Is vendors C's boxes better than Nortel's?
Is CEF going to help me? Or is the problem pps related?
Will it help to throw a bigger box at the problem?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

::shrugs::

I have a bunch of Linux/FreeSwan systems acting as site to site IPSEC
gateways, IPtables firewalling, no connection tracking... At one point I
had at least three infected sites and no problems. YMMV.

In my testing my 1.mumble gHz PIII based boxes can saturate 100mbit while
using AES. Anyone using a Linux system as a router with large (ahem bigger
than /25!) subnets should be sure to adjust the neighbor table thresholds
to avoid scanning triggered problems.