nanog mailing list archives

RE: looking for pull traffic

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:16:24 -0500

my guess is that when isp's start paying customers for suck in order to
balance their own ratios or to upset other people's ratios, that it will
stabilize at about 10% of current blow-based transit pricing.  and that
there will all of a sudden be a lot more ddos'ing, fly-by-night crawlers,
and whatnot than there are today.  gads, what a world.

Ahh, but are you saying that current blow-based transit pricing is stable?

(anybody have any guesses how much of the current ddos load is driven by
ratio concerns?  that is, now that we know spammers are hiring folks to
ddos antispammers, can we finally admit that isp's are hiring folks to
fix their ratios for them by ddosing from larger-provider networks?
viva laissez faire, i guess.)

Maybe I am exceptionally naive, but are DDOSes *REALLY* that consistent
between providers to affect month-over-month or quarterly ratios?

DJ