nanog mailing list archives

RE: cooling systems

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:46:23 -0500

For those who have never visited Fairbanks, there is a phenomena
observed at -15C and lower known as "square tire". The rubber
in tires
of parked vehicles will become stiff and freeze into position, making
the vehicle impossible to move without destroying the tires.

The coldest recorded temperature in North America was -63C in Snag,
Yukon on 3 February 1947. On the same day, in Tanacross, Alaska, -59.4C
was recorded.

Of course there have been times that my wife has dropped the temperature
below -63C with one of her looks :-(

I could make a joke here about destroying onesself if you tried to move from
one of those looks too. :)

Instead, I'll just say, "Don't let her look at your car like that."

DJ