nanog mailing list archives

Re: "They all suck!" Re: UPS failure modes (was: fire at NAC)

From: Dan Armstrong <dan () beanfield com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 18:45:35 -0400

I agree, of course it is ludicrous to think otherwise.

It has always bothered me that we rectify AC power to store it in
batteries, then
re-invert it to power AC servers only for them to rectify it again....

Dan.

"Tom (UnitedLayer)" wrote:

Or we could all take a page from the book of telecom, and run with DC systems.

It'd be nice to be able to tell our customers:
"Oh hey, you can only use DC power supplies, so you'll need to change out
all of the power supplies in your 1U's, Sun Boxes/etc"

Yes, I have run an installation of servers that were all DC, and it was
neat, but hardwiring everything was not an exciting task. It was also hard
to find people who were experienced with DC. Most sysadmins have never
worked with DC, and the process of pulling a fuse, unscrewing some
terminals/etc/etc before working on gear isn't always remembered.

If only the equipment manufacturers would stop gauging on price for
DC equipment/power supplies.

Amen!
You'd think there might actually be less components in the things :)