nanog mailing list archives

Re: UPS failure modes (was: fire at NAC)

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:11:22 -0400

In message <20030529144110.J31299 () kod inch com>, Gerald writes:

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Bill Woodcock wrote:

I've seen two previous APCs (both Matrixes) fry batteries...  The
batteries balloon up, and get really hot, and are too big to extract from
the chassis.

I've also personally witnessed an APC do this. I'm not a fan of APC.
They sent us a replacement APC but I still prefer the rack mount Tripp
Lites we used at the last company I worked for.

There was a recent recall of some of their home/SOHO UPSs -- battery
overheating, with risk of fire.