nanog mailing list archives

Re: Using Policy Routing to stop DoS attacks

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:29:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Stefan Mink wrote:

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 04:58:59PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
you could hold blackhole routes for these destinations in your route table
(local or bgp) So long as the destination for the source is bad (null for
instance) the traffic would get dropped. I believe the proper terms from
cisco for this are: "So long as the adjacency is invalid" ...

is there a way to make this source-blackhole-routing work
on J's too (does this work with discard-routes too)?

I believe someone from Juniper should likely answer this question :) As I
understand the setup from a Cisco perspective (and someone from Cisco can
correct me if I get it wrong). uRPF works in such a way that if the source
address's destination has an invalid FIB entry (or no entry, or Null0) the
packets are dropped.

Perhaps Juniper implemented it this way? I have not checked anymore
closely than this. Sorry. :(