nanog mailing list archives

Re: is this true or... ?

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 10:36:15 -0500

In message <3E846BAD.3010500 () brightok net>, Jack Bates writes:
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
but there may be session state -- it's bill HB 2121) only criminalizes the
conduct if it's done "with intent to harm or defraud a communications
service provider".  Now, given the anti-NAT and anti-VPN tendencies of some
broadband ISPs, I'm not necessarily thrilled, but it's not quite the
same as was originally suggested.

Without looking it up (a little busy), there should be a Definitions
section defining communications service provider. Is the bill aimed at
ISP's or is it aimed at the actual Telco?

-Jack
*probably just creating noise*

I'm busy, too, and probably shouldn't bother, but see
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/data/docmodel/78r/billtext/pdf/HB02121I.PDF
-- and yes, it specifically speaks of "an Internet-based distribution
system, network, or facility".