nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon mail server on MAPS RSS list

From: jlewis () lewis org
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:56:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Josh Gentry wrote:

We've got customers trying to receive email from people using Verizon for
Internet acess, and we are rejecting that mail because
out013pub.verizon.net [206.46.170.44] is on the MAPS RSS list.  Can't pull
up the MAPS RSS website at the moment to check why.  Anyone know contact
info for Verizon for this kind of issue?

MAPS RSS is a list of open relays, no?  It's a pretty good guess that the
above mentioned server is therefore an open relay...and it's a correct one
in this case.

http://www.njabl.org/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?query=206.46.170.44
http://openrbl.org/ip/206/46/170/44.htm

If you're going to use a dnsbl, anybody's dnsbl, figure out how to
whitelist first (or real soon after), because this sort of thing will
happen from time to time.

 Jon Lewis *jlewis () lewis org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |