nanog mailing list archives

RE: DSL-IP Probes Curiousity..

From: "McBurnett, Jim" <jmcburnett () msmgmt com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:52:32 -0500

There is so much of it, I liken it to Internet background
radiation.  In
fact, if I didnt see a constant stream of this (either by
accident-- SNMP
auto discovery, or design-- lets find all the 'private' routers and
switches out there) I would be more worried as my network
probably has been
blackholed!

Good Point!!

In terms of reporting it, I usually do if its more than just
some automated
probe and is a directed attack against a particular device
and is causing
some grief or potential grief.  But it would be a full time
job evaluating
and responding to each and every scan/hack attempt as the
volume is way too
high.  I  think something like dshield is going in the right
direction.
Ultimately if these things are not reported and the people doing them
sanctioned somehow, it wont stop.

Yeah, If a dshield type system is used and the ISP's can use that to
add to the Abuse reports.. That would be great!

Also, its March Break in many parts of North America... More
time to do
these sorts of things.

Yeah, and don't forget spring exams in the AP Rim...
That is always bad too....