nanog mailing list archives

Re: 69/8...this sucks

From: "Stephen J. Wilcox" <steve () telecomplete co uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:35:51 +0000 (GMT)

On 10 Mar 2003, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 23:15, Jack Bates wrote:
In defense of ARIN, the ice on a net block has to be broken at some point.
They could wait 3 years and notify every list every hour of every day for
those 3 years and there would still be many networks filtering those
networks. The only way to catch it is to notice the block and make contact
with the network. In many cases, personal contact is necessary as emails are
often misunderstood or ignored.

I repeat my suggestion that a number of DNS root-servers or gtld-servers
be renumbered into 69/8 space.  If the DNS "breaks" for these neglected
networks, I suspect they will quickly get enough clue to fix their ACLs.

Add Eddy's suggestion that the addresses all end in .0 or .255 and you
have a fine machine for cleaning up a few old, irritating problems.

Nice idea in principal (from a purist point of view) but its not practical, I
hope your not serious..!

Steve