nanog mailing list archives

RE: 69/8...this sucks -- Centralizing filtering..

From: Mark Segal <MSegal () FUTUREWAY CA>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:27:35 -0500

What surprises me most about this entire thread is the lack of centralized
filtering.

Since most service providers should be thinking about a sink hole network
for security auditing (and backscatter),  why not have ONE place where you
advertise all unreachable, or better yet -- a default (ie everything NOT
learned through BGP peers), and just forward the packets to a bit bucket..
Which is better than an access list since, now we are forwarding packets
instead of sending them to a CPU to increase router load.

I don't think ARIN can help the situation.  ISPs just need to remove the
access lists from each router in the network and centralize them.

Regards,
mark

--
Mark Segal