nanog mailing list archives

Re: Pesky spammers are using my mailbox

From: "Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron () the-infinite org>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:13:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Jack Bates wrote:

Dominic J. Eidson wrote:
I'm having a feeling that someone harvested a bunch of adresses, possibly
from NANOG, and is using them as the sender address in pretend-to-be KLEZ
spams.. I have received several bounces lately, several of them appearing
to be KLEZ, all with me as the original sender - and yet, there's no
chance I was ever infected with KLEZ (No windows boxes here...)

The nature of KLEZ is that it spoofs the sender address. Anyone infected
with KLEZ or one of the variants and on NANOG will likely send out klez
spoofing as NANOG posters.

I am quite aware of how KLEZ works - the sudden proliferation of NANOG-ers
who reported that they've gotten KLEZ-ish bounces due to spoofed sender
adrresses, seemed a little too coincidential.

On the flip side, maybe there's still entirely too many people running
vulnerable email readers...</irony>

 - d.

--
Dominic J. Eidson