nanog mailing list archives

Re: Weird email messages with "re:movie" and "re:application" in the subject line..

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:32:51 -0400

In message <2147483647.1056635153@[192.168.1.102]>, John Payne writes:

--On Wednesday, June 25, 2003 23:37 -0400 "Steven M. Bellovin"
<smb () research att com> wrote:

And I've gotten bounces from mail allegedly from me.  It's not L3's
fault; this particular worm forges From: lines on its email.

fault is debatable.  Because forgeries are now so common, particularly in
worms, why would you send these notifications to anyone other than the
recipient?  Let the human decide if the right thing to do is notify the
sender.

Personally, I blame the anti-virus companies who market the software.
They know which viruses forge From: lines; why should their "alert the
poor infected fool" software send notes to folks whose addresses are
being spoofed?