nanog mailing list archives

Re: NTp sources that work in a datacenter (was Re: Is latency equivalent to RTT?)

From: Peter Lothberg <roll () stupi se>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 23:05:09 PDT

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0305140802170.7544-100000 () twin uoregon edu>, Joel Jae
ggli writes:

Also if you just need  a high level of syncronization between the time on
all your hosts you can just deploy one standalone ntp server, sync it
against public time sources and get everything synced against that. its
probably a 95% solution to most people's timeing needs.

If I recall correctly, NTP assumes that latency = RTT/2.  You might
make it work well for his application *if* you set up your tree so that
your paths are each one hop, or at least symmetric over your network.

Correct, and if it's asymetric you get a static offset. My laptops
internal clock is a bigger source of error...

-P