nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv6

From: "Deepak Jain" <deepak () ai net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:40:36 -0400

Vendor C's issues with v6 are a problem, but they're
not the only provider of core or edge gear...
Also, even though their forwarding mechanisa are not
completely functional, they do pass packets, so it'll
work, just not be optimized.

When a 30Mpps IPv4 box falls back to <200kpps for IPv6, I don't think "not
completely functional" is an adequate description.  To me, that falls into
the "not supported" category.

Clearly, you wouldn't deploy this box for a native-IPV6 app. I am guessing
Cisco is betting this box will have an upgrade available or be obsolete by
the time the majority of their customers want to pass 30Mpps IPV6.

Heck, a PC-IPV6 router will move more than 200Kpps, but I don't want to get
on that horse.

Deepak Jain
AiNET