nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ettiquette and rules regarding Hijacked ASN's or IP space?

From: Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:57:17 -0400

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:06:50PM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

RIPE at least uses a hierarchical authorisation scheme which means you
cannot register routes to an ASN and prefix you dont have authorisation
on, where authorisation on those blocks is passed down from supernets
and superblocks ultimately controlled by RIPE.

This means for me to add a route I effectively have proof from my
authorisation being granted by RIPE that this is mine to play with.

Speaking as someone who is extremely annoyed by providers/peers/etc proxy
registering IRR routes, I think a system which locks down registrations
within specific prefixes to a specific maintainer, and an approval system
for people who want to register blocks within your space, would be
insanely useful. Someone please implement this for us US folks using irrd.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras () e-gerbil net>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras