nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco vulnerability and dangerous filtering techniques

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:50:35 -0400

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:50:17 EDT, alex () yuriev com said:

How many thousands of "polls" do you think a looking glass can handle
simultaneously? I am all for the doomsday scenarios, but lets make them a
little bit less sci-fi, shall we? How about "it would create valid looking
OSPF packets with garbage in them?" or "create valid looking STP packets"

Why would thousands be needed?  We already *know* that the bad guys
are *well* acquainted with using P2P networks for controlling zombies.  There's
no reason a few strategic queries won't provide a good first approximation, which
can then be distributed.  Remember - it doesn't have to be perfect to cause a problem. ;)

And no, there's no reason they can;t create poison OSPF or STP packets.