nanog mailing list archives

Re: Backbone Infrastructure and Secrecy

From: Charles Sprickman <spork () inch com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:08:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

I recall reading, last year, about a "Cyber Bunker" outside London UK
which is being offered as colo to major banks.  The banks were raving
praise about it.  This facility is an ex-RAF centralized radar control
site, buried dozens of feet underground w/ thick concrete and designed
to withstand nuclear weapon overpressure.  Blast doors, EMF shielding,
dual-redundant air filtered generators, the works.

In the US, American Tower is/was liquidating a number of cold war era
ex-AT&T blast-proof sites.  They are all in need of an upgrade, but the
basics are there (underground, multiple layers of concrete, blast doors,
etc.  Even "blast toilets".  I'm surprised some enterprising/paranoid soul
has not snatched a few of these up and converted them into secure offsite
storage.  Even without diverse routes, you can ensure safe data storage.

Charles

The people who bought it and turned it into a colo neglected to mention
one thing:  It's in the middle of a farm field with a single homed fiber
route to Telehouse Docklands.

Anyone have a backhoe?  *snip*

DIVERSE ROUTES, people!