nanog mailing list archives

Re: Banc of America Article

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () research att com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 23:27:45 -0500

In message <20030129040240.GA4103 () ussenterprise ufp org>, Leo Bicknell writes:

FWIW:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57550-2003Jan28.html

"About 13,000 Bank of America cash machines had to be shut down. The
bank's ATMs sent encrypted information through the Internet, and when
the data slowed to a crawl, it stymied transactions, according to a
source, who said customer financial information was never in danger of
being stolen."

OK.  I -- and, I suspect, most other folks on this list -- have been
predicting for years that the Internet would become *the* data network,
good for all taks.  Bank of America believed us.  They learned that
maybe we were a bit overoptimistic in our time frame....