nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

From: "David G. Andersen" <dga () lcs mit edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:53:30 -0500

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:25:27AM -0500, Deepak Jain mooed:

As long as the car _moves_ under its own power across the highway, its
essentially not the car manufacturers' (or the consumers') immediate
concern.

  That's really not true.  Before car companies sell cars, they
pass (lots of) safety certification tests.  Before owners drive
cars legally, they pass a safety and emissions test.  Sure, the
highway folks clean up after the occasional tire blowout, but
there's been a lot of work put in to make sure that the engines
aren't going to drop out on a regular basis.

  If the Internet was a highway, it would be covered in burned-out engines.

  -Dave

--
work: dga () lcs mit edu                          me:  dga () pobox com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/