nanog mailing list archives

Re: Merits of purpose-built (appliance) vs. FreeBSD+ipfw firewalls

From: Avleen Vig <lists-nanog () silverwraith com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:11:15 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Tony Kapela wrote:

I'm in total agreement as to the untily and significant
headache-reduction that a *bsd os (with real interactive editor
makes -- Vi for IOS must be too challenging). However, I do see a sore
spot.
One area that I've not seen much attention paid to (yet?) is
failover. Don't assume that I'm advocating the use of a PIX
here, but has anyone yet successfully used ipf/pf to export and
then import the state tables on a backup host? In my experience, doing
that w/ PIXen has been quite simple.

It'd be an interesting challenge to get this working with ipf/pf.

Forget all the ARP/ifconfig/heartbeat fudgery that'd be required to
acheive failover on *bsd with ipf/pf -- just finding a simple way to
move said state table from host to host seems interesting and
challenging.

ipf now has 'ipfs' which can dump and restore the current states table :-)