nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

From: "Christopher L. Morrow" <chris () UU NET>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:58:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, David G. Andersen wrote:

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 06:38:08PM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow mooed:

has something called Source Path Isolation Engine (SPIE).  There

This would be cool to see a design/whitepaper for.. Kelly?

The long version of the SPIE paper is at:

  http://nms.lcs.mit.edu/~snoeren/papers/spie-ton.html

The two second summary that I'll probably botch:  SPIE keeps a (very tiny)
hash of each packet that the router sees.  If you get an attack packet,
you can hand it to the router and ask "From where did this come?"
And then do so to the next router, and so on.  The beauty of the scheme
is that you can use it to trace single-packet DoS or security attacks
as well as flooding attacks.  The downside is that it's hardware.

This sounds like Steve Bellovin's thing called 'icmp traceback' where you
make up a new icmp type message and send that query through the system,
hop by hop... though I say that after only reading your blurb, not the
paper :)

As I recall the icmp thing (that might NOT have been all steve, I just
heard him present it once) was a problem from a memory and processing
perspective, not to mention 'no router does this today' so its a 3 year
off feature addition... nevermind the protocol additions :)