nanog mailing list archives

Re: mSQL Attack/Peering/OBGP/Optical exchange

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:08:15 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Jack Bates wrote:

If a proper rulebased system were implemented, wouldn't this account for the
issues? For example, implementation of an increase is only allowed by peer E
if the traffic has been a gradual increase and X throughput has been met for
T amount of time. Peer E would also have specific caps allotted for peer S
and T along with priority in granting the increases. In the case of the
worm, it is important to have a good traffic analyzer to recognize that the
increase in bandwith has been too drastic to constitute a valid need.

If my regular saturday morning traffic is 50 Mbps and a worm generates
another 100, then 150 Mbps is a valid need as being limited to my usual
50 Mbps would mean 67% packet loss, TCP sessions go into hibernation and
I end up with 49.9% Mbps of worm traffic.

Of course, traffic patterns to vary abit in short periods of time, but the
average sustained throughput and the average peak do not increase rapidly.

Sometimes they do: star report, mars probe, that kind of thing...

What was seen with Saphire should never be confused with normal traffic and
requests for bandwidth increments should be ignored by any automated system.

So you're proposing the traffic is inspected very closely, and then
either its rate limited/priority queued or more bandwidth is provisioned
automatically? That sure adds a lot of complexity but I guess this is
the only way to do it right.

Of course, I realize that to implement the necessary rules would add a
complexity that could cost largs sums of money due to mistakes.

Right.