nanog mailing list archives

Re: ebgp-multihop

From: "Jack Bates" <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:45:31 -0600

From: Tim Rand

  Hi -
  I have searched the archives but have not found an answer to my question - is there any danger in using excessively
high TTL values with ebgp-multihop?    For example, neighbor x.x.x.x ebgp-multihop 255   -  255 is generally much
higher than needed, but is there any risk/danger ??    Thanks in advance.   - Tim

The number of hops in an ebgp-multihop scenario isn't usually the concern. When using ebgp sessions to null route
baddies, the peer can be an unspecified number of hops away. I would consider 255 to be overkill, but not much harm. In
normal routing, I would try to keep the hop count within 1 or 2. It's just a good practice. Remember, every router
between the two sessions has to also know the route. Perhaps some of the older folks have some better tidbits of advice.

-Jack