nanog mailing list archives

Re: VoIP over IPsec

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 01:24:27 -0600

Thus spake "Charles Youse" <cyouse () register com>
In order to cut costs in our telecom budget I'm toying with the idea
of replacing a lot of our inter-office leased lines with VPN
connections over the public Internet.  [...]
Assume for the moment that latency and bandwidth are not an issue;
e.g., any two points that will be exchanging voice data will both have
transit from the same provider with an aggressive SLA.

Latency, bandwidth, and packet loss are moot.  Jitter is VoIP's enemy.

Does anyone have any experience running VoIP over such tunnels?
Is there a technical reason why this solution is not feasible?  Are
Cisco routers not happy doing VoIP/IPsec/GRE in concert?

IPsec itself will not cause you problems; there's no theoretical conflict.

Unfortunately, IOS can introduce jitter when encrypting packets.  To
mitigate this, you can apply QOS, with a strict priotiy queue for the VoIP
packets and the "qos pre-classify" feature.  Your mileage will vary
depending on the CPU power of the router, the traffic levels, and whether
you're using hardware encryption.