nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cascading Failures Could Crash the Global Internet

From: <sgorman1 () gmu edu>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:24:06 -0800

I believe the comments about heterogenous networks has to do with a
measurement called assortivitiy that is used in statistical mechanics.
A homogenous network is when nodes connect preferentially to nodes like
them.  In a heterogenous network they connect to nodes that are not
like them.  For networks like the Intneret and the electric grid it is
measured by the number of connections a node has.

The kicker, that the author's are alluding to, is that the more
heterogenous a network is the more vulnerable it is to targeted
attack.  By taking out a highly connected node - lots of poorly
connected nodes that use it as a hub are lost.  The AS network had the
highest heterogenous score of real-world tested networks, so lots of
folks on that bandwagon.

That said I don't think the tolerance parameter they set up in the
paper makes much sense when applied to the Internet at the AS level.
Basically it says once traffic exceeds a certain threshold the node
will fail and cause cascades across the network.  You guys are the
experts but that does not sound overly realistic.