nanog mailing list archives

Re: MS's new antispam idea

From: Doug Luce <doug () nanog con com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 02:32:36 -0500 (EST)

More than likely, spammers will have their hijacking programs spread out
the load so as to remain unnoticeable.  I think that's important to
maintain control over a large number of machines: the jig is up once a
user notices far more lagtime than ever before.

I also think that "make your operating system more secure" is a specious
request.  To reduce spam, something as simple as highlighting email from
addresses that you've written before, or that belong to a web-of-trust
involving chains of such authorship, or many other fairly simple schemes
wuld assist to minimize spam.  And is something only Microsoft is in a
good position to wield upon us.

Doug