nanog mailing list archives

good cabling in real environments [Re: Request for submissions: messy cabling and other broken things]

From: Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore fi>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:07:13 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, John Kinsella wrote:
Always liked the work my fellow coworkers at Globix used to do - I don't
have any shots of SJC or NYC online (too bad - a few projects I went to
alot of trouble on to show the rest how it should be done ;) ), but
here's one of our demo panels from LHR:

http://thrashyour.com/lhr1-wiringdemo.jpg

And yeah, most of what was under the floors in all the DCs looked like
that, and yeah I hear for strict cat5 regs that they shouldn't be
velcroed together like that.  Wire wraps were never used (only velcro),
bundles are laid down so that shortest is on the bottom side, longest
on the top.

Now, we've seen a few pics of "good" cabling as well.

However, I'm forced to ask which kind of "good cabling" is possible in
a dynamic environment when you plug in/out, change, etc. the cables.
This seems to invariably lead to total chaos :-).

For example, consider the case of a patch panel of 200 plugs, where
you'd have to wire cables to 20 different physical locations (where
the switches/routers are)?  How do you manage that elegantly, at the
patch panel side and the switch/router side?  :-)

I mean, it's fine if you take 100 cables, and wire them between the
patches and the switches (or the racks if you have the patch
cross-connect there) in bulk, but consider the case where you have 15
different switches (different subnets), a computer moving in/out of
the room in a daily basis etc.  You can't just go around wiring like
http://thrashyour.com/lhr1-wiringdemo.jpg or
http://new.onecall.net/timages/cat5patch.jpg

How do you do good cabling in dynamic, real environments? :-)